When people talk about having flawless makeup what they usually mean is that awesome airbrushed look that can only be achieved with the right combo of tools and techniques. (If you throw on $70 foundation with a spackle, you’ve wasted your $70!)
Enter blendSMART! I was excited to give their brush set a try as I am always looking to achieve that very blended soft finish with all of my liquid or powder products. Their product line up includes the battery-powered handle and several interchangeable heads for product.
Right off, I was impressed at the softness of the bristles and the ease at which the heads swap out. I’m a big sigma F80 devotee for my foundation application and this was marvelously similar- a dense flat head on the brush that blended beautifully but had enough heft to really work in the product! For a quick side by side, you can see below how the size and shape compare…
Like any beauty junkie, I tore right into the box but I was sooooo glad I read the instructions before firing up this beauty! The smartBLEND brush is at its best when you dot liquid product on your face then turn on the brush and buff it in. I also loved that the instructions let me know to not go on circular motions (the brush does that for you!) and instead move in almost a grid motion over your face.
Where I personally think this product really shines is on powder product application. It gave me a gorgeous diffused finish with my setting powder when I swapped out the foundation brush for the powder attachment. I could also see myself getting excited about the blush head to do some lovely all over bronzing.
Since its vibe (literally!) is blend, blend,blend it works wonderfully for soft washes of color. You’ll still want some standard precision brushes to contour on top or under that, but this system is great for ensuring there are no harsh lines in your face makeup. I also think this would be great for any gal who has never before used a foundation brush and currently uses a sponge or some other applicator! You’ll notice a huge difference in how much product you save and really get an idea of what motion it takes to give that airbrushed finish to your makeup.
Have you tried the blendSMART? Let me know in the comments if you’ve got other great tips for a fabulous foundationfinish!
FTC Disclaimer: I was provided the blendSMART in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies who make Elle’s Equations possible!
Leather Jacket 99 USD || Striped Tunic 45 USD || Boyfriend Jeans 45 USD || Cream Cape 180 USD || Space Dye Tunic 29 USD || Round Watch 16 USD || Leopard Flat 90 USD || Black Tote 39 USD || Black Spike Flat 70 USD
OMG ladies it is basically Christmas!!! Anyone else wake up full of joy and ready to buy booties?!! Full confession- my wallet ate it this year as I piled beauty upon beauty into my cart at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. It is easily one of their best on record over the past few years for well-priced work and weekend staples that you can invest in. The above quick picks caught my eye but I’ll be reviewing many more as my purchases make their way to me in NYC!!! Very excited that next year I’ll get to blog from Nordstrom in the Big Apple when our first Nordstrom store here opens. Here’s a few tips that have helped me navigate the sale effectively online:
Joie Kidmore Sneaker || 190 USD
Ladies my search for the perfect weekend sneaker has ended! For a while, I thought I was in the market for the ubiquitious New York City black Nike, but I just couldn’t find one that fit the bill as far as looking sleek, slipping on easily, and having a nice thin sole. Enter the Joie Kidmore. It was easily my favorite of the myriad sneaks I’ve slipped my foot in the past few months. Also how cool is this snake skin detail? It caught my eye because it was slightly interesting, but subtle enough to still go with anything I’ll throw on over the weekend.
While the price was on the upper end of what I’d pay for a normal slip on sneaker, their all-leather construction and comfort won me over. Gals were split on sizing on the site – but I took my normal size and it worked out perfectly since the leather will stretch a little. I think where ladies experienced the rubbing mentioned was where they sized up for tightness around the bridge of the foot, then got too much length and were slipping around. (That’s a lot of detail, but there you go!) For those of you not sold on the Kidmore, I’ve included some of the others I was scouting that were top contenders.
Do you have a favorite comfy weekend sneaker? Let me know in the comments!
Image via pinterest
Anyone else super ready to throw on a maxi dress and call it summer? I’m knee deep in summer dress browsing, and updating some basics over the next couple of weeks. Let me know if there’s anything you’re on the hunt for! I’m in need of a lineup of dresses for a several-week vaca this summer so you’ll be seeing lots of shopping posts in the month of June!
1) Brexit’s merits are debatable on political principles, but the economic costs in both the short and long term are arguably not worth it for the UK. The New Yorker does a nice job of outlining some of the issues at play.
2) In addition to dresses, I know I’ll be in need of a slew of products to keep my hair in check over this summer season. I’m always obsessed with Sephora’s sample kits, and this one with summer hair saviors is no different.
3) I can’t get enough of poufy skirts in spring. Add a tank and sandals and you’re ready for a night out.
4) Anyone else weirdly into knowing what people do in the morning to get their day going? Levo league has morning routines of 7 of their favorite mentors.
5) Work dresses are dazzling at Ann Taylor right now and many at $75. I’m picking up this Kimono Dress whose sleeves will act as built in A/C come July!
Tan + Tote
As you gals have seen, black is a year round color for me. I can’t help myself and can’t even blame it on New York. (Though, after a few hours sitting in a filthy subway car, you totally get why it’s the state color.) I’m seemingly always in need of bags that are gigantic, that I can throw my whole life in and be set for the day. Enter my effort to spring up my look and swap out my daily black commuting tote with something a little lighter. A few of my faves are below, though the Claire V down there is probably what I’ll be splurging over. Do you have a tote that you love for spring ?
I’m spring cleaning this weekend in a big way. In NYC that means you actually have to schedule the Goodwill to come to your door and pick up the piles of clothes and shoes you were too lazy to walk there throughout the year. Insert embarrass emjoi here. Did anyone else tackle a closet clean out recently!
1) Zimbabwe is running out of cash and pressing print on the presses to keep up. (Hint: Their incredible reliance on imports will keep Thai problem around for the foreseeable future.)
2) I wanted to love this Kat Von D matte lipstick more than I do. The color is gorgeous at first but seems to dry to a muddier shade that bleeds a bit after wear. It’s also very drying which I know I’m generally in for with a matte shade, but this one feels excessively so. Bummer.
3) Cooking for mom this weekend? I loved this roundup of brunch recipes that you can use whenever. Because skillet Heuvos Racheros doesn’t have its own holiday. Yet.
4) This geometric tote from Zara is doubling as my gym bag and weekend shopper. For less than $40 I feel just fine about that.
5) It is on my bucket list to one day wear a ridiculously large pink feathery hat to the Kentucky Derby. Here’s a fabulous roundup of the events style through the years!